It's about that time of year again, warmer weather, sunshine, birds chirping, and that inevitable time to crawl out from winter hibernation. Yes, it's also that dreaded spring cleaning season. While you're getting those floors spotless, the windows with that streak-free shine, and your bathrooms squeaky clean, don't forget to keep these next few things in mind that often go overlooked or unthought-of many times while you're getting your house spic and span.
1.Blinds- Somehow these little boogers are like a catch all for the pet hair and dust you have floating around in the air. To get these back to their original luster, simply wipe with warm soapy water and a soft cloth.
2. Washer- Most people don't think of having to do this because this is what we use to help us with our cleaning. After a while though, washers need a little laundering themselves. Pour 2 cups of white vinegar into the soap dispenser and run on the hottest setting. Following, add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the drum and repeat the cycle, wipe the inside down after that and voila!
3. Fridge- Most people after can recognize when they need to clean out the fridge and wipe it down, it doesn't change how much of a hassle it becomes though when that time comes. For this, just simply take 2 tablespoons of baking soda and warm water to wipe down the sides and the inside. You can remove the shelves and drawers and wash those in the sink and replace. After, be sure to vacuum the coil and grill to get rid of all the dust bunnies that have accumulated by the motor.
4. Oven- For those of you who have the self-clean feature, take advantage of it for sure. Then just remove the shelving and soak. Scour with a steel brush and replace.
5. Carpet- This is for sure the most hassle and time consuming process on the list for sure. You have to worry about moving all of your furniture and walking around on damp floors for a few hours, but in the end when you step back and look at the result, it makes all the back-ache worth while. You will need a steam cleaner for this job, and try to avoid doing it on a humid day so that there isn't any extra moisture in the air. You can open the windows to help ventilate and dry the floors faster. You don't realize how much dirt gets caught in those carpet fibers until you start shampooing them!
6. Base boards- Another catch all for dust and hair and dirt. Luckily this is usually and easy area to clean and can make all the difference in the look of your home. Take a cloth and or a toothbrush for those crevices, your favorite wood soap and wipe!
7. Tile grout- Much like carpets, this is one of those tasks that purposefully gets avoided most of the time, but is one of the most rewarding outcomes. Grout is very porous and soaks in all of the dirt and spills on the floor. To clean, create a paste mixture of baking soda, peroxide, and a dash of dish soap and apply in between each tile. Let the paste sit for 10 minutes or so to ensure it has oxidized on the stain and scrub with your choice of bristle brush. Once it has dried, the difference in the color will leave you floored! (pun intended)
8. Mattress- You know to keep fresh sheets and pillow cases on your bed, but don't completely ignore your mattress itself. Vacuum and lay it on its side for 12-24 hours if possible to air out. Be sure to wash your pillows and bedding on the hottest setting and once you're down, take a load off and relax from all the hard work you just put in to get your home back in pristine condition. You earned it!
Now you can enjoy and bask in your clean space- that is until the next time the dishes need to be washed. :D